Wednesday, April 25, 2012

tater tot casserole

Tater Tot Casserole.    

This is a versatile dish that is easy to make and is quite tasty.  I've made it many times and have made it many different ways.  I think the way I am about to show you is the best.


I used:

1 bag Ore Ida tater tots
2.25 pounds of ground chuck beef [you dont have to use exactly 2.25 pounds, that's just how its sold at the store I shop at]
some Kraft sharp cheddar cheese [I didn't measure.  See pictures.]
 1 onion
1 can Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup
about 3 tablespoons of Daisy sour cream


First of all, I like to cook the tater tots in the oven before cooking them again in the dish.  This saves time and trouble.  Cook them about 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.



begin to brown your hamburger while the tater tots bake..



 when it begins to brown, stir it up some making sure it cooks evenly.


dice 1 onion by slicing this way


turn it around and slice it this way again


 turn it over and slice again


 yay, diced onion!


add the onion to the meat and let them cook together for a while


add some garlic powder..


and soul food seasoning, i love this stuff!   You can use whatever spices and seasonings you prefer though.


After the meat has finished cooking you should drain it...


for this I just put a plate under my colander 


............


Return the meat and onions to the skillet and turn the heat down to low.  Add the Cream of Mushroom soup...


and about 2-3 tablespoons of sour cream


stir.


let it cook together for a little bit..


tater tots should be golden brown and fully cooked by now...


line some in a baking dish.  


After you've placed the tots, begin to put the meat mixture on top of them..


even it out..


add some cheese!  add however much looks right to you


arrange the remaining tots on top and bake for about 20-30 minutes on around 350. 


after you've baked the casserole for a while and its heated throughout you should add some ketchup on top.  It makes it even better.  I always use Heinz.


ketchupppp.


After you finish putting ketchup on it, turn your oven on broil and put the casserole back in.  Let the ketchup cook a little bit, I usually take it out after the ketchup isn't shiny but isn't burnt.  Up to you, I just like the ketchup cooked.


done!  :D



1 comment: